MHRT/C Frequently Asked Questions

New Certification Requirements Questions

No, if you hold a full MHRT/C certificate you do not have to satisfy the new knowledge competency requirements. However, you do need to be issued a new certificate under the new program. (see next question)

Please go to the Updates page, click on the Update email address and submit your current and complete contact information. We will reissue a new certificate during the month it was originally issued if that month has not passed yet. If it has passed, it will be reissued immediately.

Yes. Beginning January 1, 2020, the only valid certification for these services is a Full or Provisional MHRT/C with a valid expiration date. Please update your contact information with us by clicking on the email address found on our Updates page. You will be reissued a new MHRT/C certificate with an expiration date and continuing education requirement.

Yes, we will accept work contact information though we prefer the individual’s home contact information. If an individual leaves the agency we would not have their contact information to communicate any program changes or reminders. In addition, certificates are issued directly to the employee.

We suggest that you continue on your current path under the existing requirements. When you apply fo rthe next level of certification, we will review your qualifications under both the old and new requirements. Depending on an your qualifications, some of the revisions could provide an accelerated pathway to full MHRT/C certification. Please continue to follow these updates.

No, the MHRT/CSP program is not changing at this time. These changes only affect the MHRT/C.

Yes, an agency may send us a list of their certificate holders with their current contact information. We prefer home contact information as you may have certificate holders who will not be reissued their certificate for several months. The reason we prefer home contact information is there is a chance the individual may no longer be with your agency come the month we reissue their certificate. We’ve had a few instances of this already.

Correct, certificates are not automatically reissued. An individual must update their contact information with the Muskie School in order for a certificate to be reissued. In the past, certificate holders were under no obligation to keep their data current so we might not have current addresses. Certificate holders should send their updated home contact information to:

In cases where an institution spreads the knowledge competencies for a single domain over multiple courses, yes. There are a few instances of this in the 2008 requirements. For example, someone who takes their program through either Husson University or Central Maine Community College must complete two courses to meet the Vocational Aspects of Disabilities requirement.

Continuing Education Questions

Certificates without an expiration date will become invalid on January 1, 2020. Please update your contact information to obtain a new certificate with an expiration date. Directions on how to do so are in the previous FAQ section. Once you have been reissued as an MHRT/C with an expiration date you must complete continuing education in order to renew it every two years.

We are reissuing certificates to those who provide us with updated contact information in monthly batches based on the month of original issue. As of 2019, if the month of issue has already passed by, your certificate will be immediately reissued.

Here are two examples:
1. An individual earned their MHRT/C on May 3, 2008 and updated their contact information in March 2018. Their certificate was reissued in May 2018 and is valid through May 31, 2020.
2. An individual earned their MHRT III on July 10, 1997 and updated their contact information in August 2019. Their certificate was immediately reissued (as an MHRT/C) and is valid through August 31, 2021.

No, continuing education must take place during the period your certificate is valid.

As soon as you have a full MHRT/C certificate with an expiration date.

Yes, as long as the course is relevant to the new knowledge competencies and is completed during the two-year expiration period on your certificate. Please remember, you still need to meet four (4) hours of ethics as part of the 18 hours of continuing education.

We will accept a non-regionally accredited college course for continuing education as long as the course is relevant to the new knowledge competencies.

Your certificate will expire and any services rendered after that will not be allowable under MaineCare billing.

You will submit an MHRT/C renewal form (download from the CFL website) and certificates of completion for the trainings you completed. Those certificates should list: Training title, trainer’s name, number of hours, and date of training.

No, but if you have any question about a training’s applicability, we suggest you work with your supervisor. If they are unsure, then you may contact our office.

Yes. It needs to be pre-approved for delivery. Please submit a brief description of the program, an agenda, # of hours, description of the trainer’s qualifications (brief bio), and a sample copy of the certificate of completion.

Yes, you may count the continuing education towards both your license and the MHRT/C, provided the training is related to the MHRT/C knowledge competencies.

Yes, the one-hour online module “Maine’s Mental Health System 101” will be accepted as continuing education for those full MHRT/C certificate holders who did not take the module as part of their application process. The course is good for one-hour of continuing education and applies to Domain 2: Community Integration and Inclusion.

There is no renewal fee at this time.

No. The MHSS training doesn’t go into the depth necessary to satisfy the MHRT/C competencies.

No. The BHP is for children’s services while the MHRT/C is for adult services.

Credit for Work Experience Questions

Formerly referred to as a waiver, the Credit for Work Experience option allows you to use relevant work experience as credit towards a Knowledge Competency Domain.

For those who hold a qualifying related degree (please see next question for a list), you can use six months of relevant clinically-supervised work experience to meet one knowledge competency domain.

If you do not have a related degree, you may use one year of relevant clinically-supervised work experience to meet one knowledge competency domain.

The following degrees qualify for the six month option:

Art Therapy
Behavioral Health
Behavioral Health & Human Services
Behavioral Science
Communication Science & Disorders
Community Health
Community Health Education
Community Mental Health
Health & Human Services
Human Development
Human Development & Family Studies
Human Services
Mental Health
Mental Health & Human Services
Movement Therapy
Music Therapy
Occupational Therapy
Physical Therapy
Psychiatric Rehabilitation
Psychosocial Rehabilitation
Public Health
Rehabilitation Sciences
Rehabilitation Services
Special Education
Speech/Hearing Sciences
Speech-Language Pathology
Social & Behavioral Science
Social Rehabilitation
Social Science
Social Services
Social Work
Therapeutic Recreation

If your degree is not listed above, you need one year of relevant work experience.

Domains 1 and 3 can not be met through the Credit for Work Experience option.

Domain 2 can be met through this option only if you have a qualifying degree (see the question above this one).

You may use Credit for Work Experience for up to 4 Domains.

Non-Academic Training Quesitons

Presently, SAMHS is developing standard curricula for all 8 Domains. When completed, they will be delivered to trainers who meet the trainer standards, which are also being developed. The short answer is yes, if the prospective trainers meet the standards and complete the train-the-trainer using the standardized curriculum.